Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Report Card Day

last tuesday was Open Day at school.

a day when parents queue up for ages to talk for a few minutes with the teacher and receive their child's report card, when they had already known how the child did. but we do it anyway as another way to show we care.

(off my soap-box :))

Amjad's percentage actually went up a bit, at 86%. I guess I lost sight of that as we (him and I) were focussing on the fact that this is the first time since year 1 he didn't pull in 5As. He had a B for his Penulisan. When I talked to his teacher, she said they just had a new section introduced -- the "nilai murni" part. So hopefully with practise, he'll have a better idea on how to tackle this part.

Hania's class placement also suffered from 10 to 15. Poor girl, when her percentage went up from 94% to 97%. But just her luck, in the only year when class placement started out randomly, she got into a class where the teacher said "everyone is so clever." Actually, for her PKBS1, she pulled in 98.8% average, we were so sure she would be placed in the top5, but her class placement was 10th. And she was so looking forward to have her ears pierced (she made up a condition that if she placed first, she could get her ears pierced). So I've modified her own condition somewhat, I told her if she continued pulling in straight As until the end of the year, we'd go get her ears pierced.

Syakira slipped a tad from her previous first place, Maths being the culprit this time, particularly the word problems parts. But she should still be the first overall for now, Mummy should still be able to go to the prize-giving day, insya-Allah.

When I talked to the teachers, I also asked if the kids were outspoken in class. The teachers felt they were good kids, not naughty or noisy, and would answer when addressed. The teachers saw no problem in that, and given that they have 40+ kids in the class, I can see their perspective. But hmmm.... as a parent, I want the children to be engaged, inside outside, in their learning. They're spending so much of their time in school, that it seems a shame if they're not enjoying themselves, in and out of the classrooms. Hopefully they are, just that they're not showing it to the teachers.

Oh, and the teacher also said Hania wasn't given to 'berangan' in class :).

No comments: